Wednesday 9 November 2011

3D MOVIES - A DISASTROUS TREND!!


Remember the film Chota Chetan and with it India first experienced the thrill of 3D cinema..? How many of us had thought then, that soon every other movie in the theatres is going to be 3 Dimensional? That film makers are going to be so fascinated by the whole concept of 3D effects?
Two years ago James Cameron's Avatar created storm at the ticket window in India and more recently Vikram Bhatt's 3D horror film Haunted also became a huge hit. The recent trend of 3D movies is giving the filmmakers a reason to strike gold at the box-office.


According to me ,the way Avatar was presented in 3D was pretty cool, it was definitely better than if I were to have seen it in regular 2D.  The only 3D movie that I’ve ever liked and enjoyed is AVATAR. The experience felt was so real and that’s only because of James Cameron's Innovative New 3D Technology. He co-developed a new generation of stereoscopic cameras, which made the movie so spectacular and a massive hit! 







Simplified, this is the equivalent of two cameras strapped together, each providing a slightly different perspective on the scene, mimicking the way human eyes view the world in three dimensions.


However, I don’t undertand why most of the film-makers today are getting so negatively influenced about the whole 3D concept.  I mean most of the movies today are made in 2D and then converted to 3D, which is precisely why there are barely any 3D effects and the whole movie-watching experience becomes disgusting. 
I completely hate the idea of watching 3D film. I saw this movie called THOR. I could not stand those 3D glasses and the nauseous feeling. I removed the glasses. And I could see the images fairly clearly, which again goes to say that there was absolutely no need for the movie to have been made 3D. At first I was excited that it was working for me, but then I found myself feeling sick. Around 30 minutes in, my head started to hurt. A couple months later, I go to see the last Harry Potter and was really disappointed when they handed me those insipid glasses. I wish I'd paid attention and realised it was 3D before I went. I'd have saved my money.
The notion that we are asked to pay a premium to witness an inferior and inherently brain-confusing image is outrageous.


I like seeing special effects, but I definitely do not go to a movie just for special effects, I like to hear a good story. Sadly today,  some  movie makers  rely on the effects a lot more than creating a storyline. My message to such film makers is that  technology isn’t always good; it doesn’t always create a buzz!


While I was doing a small research on how 3D films are made and how the  recent trend of 3D has changed the face of cinema forever, I came across a forum where people like me, who are  sternly not for the whole idea of 3D.  This was what some people had to say,
“I don’t find it in any way relaxing. I have had migraine-style headaches from spending 15 minutes in a 3D cinema. Two hours of it could quite easily make you sick.”


“3 D movies are awful !!!! Quit making them!!!!! ”


Another person commented – “3-D is a waste of a perfectly good dimension. Hollywood's current crazy stampede toward it is suicidal. It adds nothing essential to the moviegoing experience. For some, it is an annoying distraction. For others, it creates nausea and headaches. It is driven largely to sell expensive projection equipment and add a $5 to $7.50 surcharge on already expensive movie tickets. Its image is noticeably darker than standard 2-D. It is unsuitable for grown-up films of any seriousness.”




Processing 3D Images Causes Brain Strain:
 A Northwestern University ophthalmology professor warns that a large segment of the population may develop a headache, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, light-headedness, dizziness, and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps while watching 3D movies. This is due to the brain strain involved with processing the three dimensional images - the more an image jumps out at you, the more effort your brain must make to fuse the pictures together.  


Lastly I would like to leave on a note that because of Avatar,today, Hollywood, Bollywood, infact companies like Sony and Samsung too are going crazy over the idea to make more things 3D capable… My question is, is it wise to be all like “let’s make EVERYTHING in 3D ??”



2 comments:

gulshan said...

ya tats a fair call.. it does make head burst if u see movie cont. with those damn 3d glasses...
der s a large room for improvisation in technology n 3d creation.. it s jst a 1st phase..
3d does make u feel de scene, depth, 3 dimension space.. its amazing bt der s large space 4 improvement.. welcome 3d n upcoming 4d too

Unknown said...

massage to filmmaker is that, if want 3D it should be correct 3D like AVATAR or Chota chetan or it should be 2D better way.....

Post a Comment